Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writing Coffee - Mary Downs

Occasionally, we need to be encouraged to move forward with our writing in spite of our personal fears and challenges. I went through one of those difficult times recently. I desperately needed a tangible sign from God. Would you inspire my writing in the days ahead, I asked. “I’m stepping out in faith to write for the public.”

Our writers group was given the prompt “To Go” by one of the members, due the next week. I had not been able to come up with any ideas. My mind was blank and the challenge was due the next evening. I was nothing short of frustrated.

Sometimes I think writer’s block permanently sits on my shoulder just to poke at me regularly. Finally, I sat down to relax, calm my negative thinking and pray for inspiration. With my laptop in hand, I wrote the title at the top of the page and waited. Before long I had a burst of energy and a dab of anger. This poem emerged.

Going

I’m going to be a writer
Whether you like it or not.
Place the words in motion
In the order of my thoughts.
God will guide the process
As I search to find His will
He knows the lives He wants to touch
With the strokes of my holy quill.


There…I had gotten an idea written down.


Only something God could orchestrate the following events. As I centered the poem on the page a shape appeared. Can you see the shape the poem makes?


I’m going to be a writer
Whether you like it or not.
Place the words in motion
In the order of my thoughts.
God will guide the process
As I search to find His will
He knows the lives He wants to touch
With the strokes of my holy quill.


If you look closely and imagine a curvy handle on one side, it becomes a perfect teacup and saucer. I was shocked and joyous when I saw the image materialize. It dawned on me the lady who gave the prompt collects teacups and saucers. God answered my prayer and helped me gain confidence again. The poem has become a lasting testimony to revisit when doubt and fear invades my mind about the writing He has called me to do.

“Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord
Come and quench this thirsting in my soul
Bread from Heaven, feed me 'til I want no more
Fill my cup,
fill it up and make me whole.”


Mary Jane Downs is an inspirational writer of poems, stories, devotionals and children’s stories. She has been published in Awe Magazine, InspiredMoms.com, and judged the weekly writer’s contests for Faithwriters.com. Mary Jane graduated from LaGrange College, LaGrange, GA with a degree in Elementary Education. She is currently the assistant director for The Gathering-A Meeting Place for Creatives in Christ Conference. Contact Mary Jane at maryjanewrites@gmail.com.