Sunday, April 8, 2012

The 20-30 Challenge



Marietta Taylor

I've said “I don't have time today to write” more than I've actually sat down to write. It's not that I don't want to, I just get overwhelmed by life and responsibilities and then do nothing with my writing. But last month I found a solution I call the 20-30 challenge to get my behind in the chair and words on the page every day. If you are in need of a writing nudge, would you be willing try it for the next thirty days?

The solution is to write for just twenty minutes a day for the next thirty days. Now don't go off like Naaman did in 2 Kings and get mad because it's not something elaborate. It's simple and it works. I did it as part of a 30-day challenge to discover and spark your passion. I already knew writing was what I was devoted to, so I just needed a spark to get going again. When I first agreed on day seven of the challenge to spend twenty minutes a day on my passion, I didn't think I'd accomplish much. I was wrong. Each day I spent those twenty minutes, I was able to complete or almost complete a devotion using the Hook, Book, Look and Took method. After 23 days, I had written 15 devotions. I think that's a decent return on my investment.

Reflecting on it now, I realize that before this, I thought I needed an hour or more to be productive. Now I know that's not true. My schedule is packed, but finding twenty minutes was easier than I thought. It was definitely simpler than finding an hour. After I saw what could be done in such a small time period, I looked forward to that time each night. I think you will find the same to be true. I'm done with my 30-day challenge but I'm going to commit to the 20-30 challenge every month. Don't get left behind. Mark your calendar and begin your own today.